Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Dancing in the Dark - 1st Birthday!!!



Today is the first anniversary of my debut novel. Exactly a year ago, Dancing in the Dark hit the bookshelves. Even now, a whole year later, I still get a thrill when I find it in bookshops.

The two years between completing the manuscript and seeing the final book in print were filled with smaller milestones and highlights. These include:

· Finding an agent (Debbie Golvan of Golvan Arts Management) to represent me.

· Having a number of publishers expressing interest.

· Receiving emails from publishers saying how much they loved the book.

· Entering the offices of Penguin Books and meeting the publishers.

· Receiving actual offers.

· Accepting an offer.

· Receiving the signed contract.

· Meeting and working with Michelle Madden, a lovely, dedicated and highly professional editor. Ditto the rest of the staff at Penguin.

· Seeing the beautiful cover design (by one very talented Evi Otemoto, whom I’ve yet to meet).

· Holding the actual book in my hands.

· Putting the book on my shelf at home.

· Seeing multiple copies of my book in a fabulous window display at Sunflower Bookshop.

Post-publication highlights include:
· The launch of Dancing in the Dark – I enjoyed it immensely.

· Reading positive reviews of the book in newspapers, blogs and magazines.

· Being interviewed for radio, newspapers, magazines, blogs and e-zines.

· Receiving fan mail.

· Meeting readers who tell me how much they loved the book.

· Receiving invitations to appear at the Melbourne Writers Festival and the Brisbane Writers Festival, and attending those festivals.

· Meeting other writers.

I’m humbled by the fact that my dream to be a published author has become a reality. Heartfelt thanks to those who worked behind the scenes – the unsung heroes at Penguin and the booksellers who’ve recommended my book to their customers.

Last but by no means least, a huge thankyou to all of you who’ve taken the time to read my book when there are so many others to choose from. I don’t take a single one of you for granted.

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Dancing in the Dark!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Robyn if I'd known i would have baked you a little cake and squished it into the letterbox! Congratulations! May the highlights keep accumulating for you as an author and for your lovely debut novel. jxx PS i didn't know you had the gorgeous MM. She is a brilliant editor. Happy Bookday! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kate and Jen. And Jen, the thought of the cake is probably better than the real thing - mental deliciousness without the calories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Robyn. And to think I saw the beginnings of it so long ago. How far you've come! Looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Sally. It helped to have people like you egging me on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Robyn!!! I couldn't wipe the smile off my face after just FINISHING writing a book. I cant imagine how it would feel to have it all really published, complete and people purchasing it! Well done my dear! I will bake a cake.. heheee... and eat it on your behalf ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kelly and congratulations on finishing your manuscript! That's the toughest part - I hope you celebrated with cake and more. :)

    ReplyDelete